Phytosanitary requirements

Flower bulbs are one of the Netherland’s most important export products. In order to be able to export flower bulbs, the requirements laid down by the recipient country (outside the EU) for the flower bulbs have to be complied with. We call these requirements the phytosanitary requirements.

In some cases, the BKD, the NVWA (the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority) and a country that lies outside the EU also make specific arrangements regarding flower bulbs. Finally, a number of countries lay down not only phytosanitary requirements but also protocols for the trade in flower bulbs. You can find details of these at the bottom of this page in the country programmes. You can find the phytosanitary requirements for each country on the NVWA’s website.

Import- and export inspections

Flowers bulbs that are exported to countries that lie outside the EU are checked by the BKD during an export inspection that is carried out prior to shipment. As part of this check, the inspector checks the phytosanitary certificate issued and the identity of the products and carries out a physical inspection. In this way, he (or she) looks at whether the products comply with the phytosanitary requirements of the recipient country. The Bonus-Penalty scheme determines the percentage of lots that are to be physically inspected, with those companies with good inspection results being inspected less intensively. The full text of this regulation is available from us upon request.

Those flower bulbs that are imported into the Netherlands from third countries are inspected by the BKD as well. The guiding principle here is the quality an quarantine standards that apply within the EU. The BKD carries out the import and export inspections on behalf of the NVWA (the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority).

If you are an importer then you make sure that you or the shipping agent are connected to CLIENT-Import to request an inspection. If you are an exporter then you request an inspection via Ketenregister before the consignment is shipped outside the EU or Zwitserland. An export inspection consists of a physical inspection (stock inspection) and the signing of the export documents. These two activities can be carried out separately from each other.

Certificates and documents

When the inspector has performed the export inspection and everything is in order, he or she will then sign(i.e. certify) the phytosanitary certificate. Once the certificate has been signed , the consignment can be shipped. A signed certificate only has a limited period of validity. When shipping flower bulbs to Japan or China, in addition to a signed certificate you will also need a (digital or other) ‘Landenprinterbon’ (country printer voucher), which may be obtained from Ketenregister.

If you need a replacement for a previously issued export certificate, for example because the original document contains incorrect information or has been lost, you can use the appropriate form to request a replacement.

Ketenregister (chain register)

The BKD uses Ketenregister (‘the system that contains relevant phytosanitary data about each lot ’)to regulate all aspects of the exporting of flower bulbs with exporters. Ketenregister passes on lot information from the cultivation process – along with inspection information from the export process – to the NVWA’s e-CertNL system (formerly known as CLIENT EXPORT) for export certification, with the NVWA being the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority. This link-up ensures that there is a fully closed digital chain within which phytosanitary certificates are issued efficiently.

Do you export but do not yet use Ketenregister? If this is the case then register yourself or else go to for more information.

Other important information regarding import and export

Here you will find additional important information about the importing and exporting of flower bulbs:



Inschrijven >

Start typing and press Enter to search